Different Types of Custody Arrangements - Picking the Right Time-share for Your Case

If you're involved in a custody battle, one of the first questions you need to answer is what kind of time-share you want. Today, we're here to provide advice that can help you find the best solution for you and your child.

To schedule a consultation with an experienced lawyer who can help you with your case, contact us online or via phone at (845) 203-0997.

The 5-2, 2-5 or 4-3, 3-4 Time-Share

One of the most popular time-shares is a 5-2, 2-5 schedule wherein one parent has custody for five days, then switches off to the other parent for two days. At this point, the time-share flips so the first parent gets custody for two days, and the second for five (or for four and three, then three and four days in a 4-3, 3-4 schedule).

This kind of time-share is relatively flexible, enabling parents who may work on weekends to still spend quality time with their child. It also enables both parents to regularly help with their child's schoolwork, and switching custody frequently means parents and children spend less time without seeing one another.

Week-On, Week-Off

Another popular time-share enables the parents to switch custody every week. While this is a simple and easily manageable arrangement, it can be difficult for parents to pull off if they have different schedules, or if one parent has an unconventional work-life (working nights, traveling, working more than 40 hours a week, etc.).

What About Holidays?

Most parents adjust their time-share significantly when it comes to accomodating for holidays. For example, even if you have a week-on, week-off schedule and Christmas falls during a week when you have custody, you may want to have your child split time between you and your co-parent during Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day (or just spend those days together).

At Letterio & Haug, PLLC, our attorneys can help you pursue a custody arrangement that enables your child to truly thrive. To schedule a consultation, contact our office online or via phone at (845) 203-0997.

Related Posts
  • Can Stepparents Request Visitation Rights in New York? Read More
  • Can I Move Away with My Kids After Divorce? Read More
  • What If My Ex-Spouse Violates the Terms of Our Divorce Settlement? Read More