Hudson Valley Trust Law Attorney
Efficiently & Effectively Handling Your Trusts Needs
New York has some of the most intricate and complex trust laws in the United States. Establishing trusts in this state can be a challenging endeavor, requiring legal advice from an experienced trust law attorney. It’s important to have an expert who can provide you with the professional guidance needed to ensure that your trust complies with both federal and state regulations and is organized for maximum tax benefit.
Whether you’re attempting to find a structured settlement solution or setting up a revocable living trust, our experienced trust law attorneys at Letterio & Haug, LLP have a long history of helping clients in Beacon, Hudson Valley, and throughout Dutchess County successfully set up trusts and deal with trust-related issues.
Need help with a trust? Call our Hudson Valley trust lawyers at (845) 203-0997 or contact us online today for a confidential consultation.
What Is a Trust?
A trust is a legal agreement in which one party, the trustee, holds assets on behalf of another party, the beneficiary. The trustee has a fiduciary duty to manage these assets according to the terms specified in the trust document. Trusts give beneficiaries control over how their assets are managed and transferred after they pass away.
Depending on how the trust is set up, trustees may have a wide range of duties when administering an estate—from managing investments to paying tax bills and deciding who gets what after a person passes away. Understanding all your rights and responsibilities as a trustee or beneficiary is critical for preserving your wealth for future generations.
Types of Trusts in New York
Navigating a trust in New York can be tricky. Knowing the types of trusts available, following the right tax advice, and understanding the benefits of setting up a trust can make it easier. Two of the most common types of trusts are:
- Revocable Trusts – This trust enables you to transfer your hard-earned assets while retaining control and flexibility. You can modify, amend, or revoke it anytime during your lifetime. After your passing, your beneficiaries inherit the assets with minimal fuss, free from probate expenses and potential family squabbles. However, it's worth noting that this trust doesn't offer asset protection. For that, an irrevocable trust is the way to go.
- Irrevocable Trusts – You can secure your assets for your loved ones' future by setting up an irrevocable trust. An irrevocable trust can hold your home and investments and keep them out of reach from nursing home expenses for up to five years. Protecting these assets means your beneficiaries can eventually inherit them, enabling you to leave a legacy that will last for generations to come.
Other types of trusts include simple trusts, complex trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, charitable trusts, and special needs trusts.
Benefits of Trusts
Setting up a trust in New York can provide numerous benefits to you. Trusts are an excellent estate planning tool that can help protect your assets, reduce taxes, and allow for smooth management of your estate once you have passed away. The following are a few of the many benefits of setting up a trust in New York:
- Trusts can help people maintain control of their assets even after death or a period of incapacity, provide their estate with valuable protection from creditors or litigious heirs, and minimize certain tax burdens.
- Trusts offer privacy not found with wills or other legal documents in addition to simplifying the process of transferring assets after a person has passed away.
- When you set up a trust, you can structure the distributions so that they are taxed at either the recipient's or the trustee's income tax rate. This means that while someone may be able to receive a larger amount during their lifetime, there will be less strain on their estate when it comes time to pass down assets after death.
- Trusts provide people with greater control over how and when their assets are dispersed upon death, allowing for more control over where those assets end up and who receives them.
Experienced Trust Lawyers in Dutchess County
When dealing with trusts, it is important to make sure that your legal needs are taken care of. At Letterio & Haug, LLP, we can provide you with the expertise and experience needed to ensure your estate planning matters and trust documents are handled properly. With our legal guidance, you can be sure that your wishes will be honored and respected for generations to come.
Our trust lawyers know New York’s trust laws inside out, which enables us to help you protect your assets and define exactly who should receive them upon your death. With our trust law attorneys’ help, you can take the necessary steps to preserve your wealth for future generations without worrying about title transfers or disputes.
To learn more about Letterio & Haug, LLP, read our clients’ testimonials.
If you need help with trust-related issues, we're ready to assist. Give us a call at (845) 203-0997 or reach out to us online today to schedule a confidential consultation with our experienced trust law attorneys in Dutchess County.
“Passionate, committed, diligent, and very client orientated and driven.”- Eileen C.
“They have made a lifelong client out of me.”- Mike
“I cannot think of any attorney I would rather have represent me.”- Michael G.
“An amazing lawyer who genuinely cared about me!”- Kris F.
“We could not be happier with the results. Highly recommend!”- Jenna C.