Can I Modify Child Custody After a Divorce?

Child Custody

Your child custody order is not set in stone. If you or your former spouse’s life changed so substantially that your custody order is no longer in your children’s best interests, you can petition the court for a modification. However, keep in mind that family courts believe stability and consistency are crucial for children, so if your circumstances have not changed significantly since the child custody order was initially issued, a judge may not grant a modification.

If you are on good terms with your former spouse, discuss the matter and try to hash out an agreement that works for both of you. That said, even if you agree to the changes you discuss, you must have the court’s approval to ensure it serves the best interests of the children.

Petitioning the Court for a Child Custody Modification

If you cannot work on an agreement with your former spouse, you can petition the court for a modification.

Below are some of the circumstances in which a judge may grant a modification of your child custody order:

  • One parent is relocating
  • A parent or someone in a parent’s household is abusive
  • A parent’s work schedule changed
  • A child’s needs changed due to health, age, or other reasons
  • A parent is not complying with the current child custody order
  • There is a change in one of the parent’s ability to provide for the child

If any of these situations apply to you, it may be substantial enough to warrant a modification. That said, this list is not exhaustive, so even if you do not see a situation that applies to you, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your case and learn more about your legal options.

Discuss the Details of Your Post-Divorce Modification Case with One of Our Attorneys!

The child custody agreement that initially worked for you and your children may not always work for your family. Family courts also understand that life constantly changes, so if you cannot work out a new agreement with your former spouse, secure skilled legal counsel and petition the court for a post-divorce modification of your child custody agreement. At Letterio & Haug, LLP, our family law team is backed by more than 15 years of fighting for families and helping them achieve resolutions on challenging, sensitive legal matters. You can rely on us to give you the best possible chance of securing the results you need.

Call our law office today at (845) 203-0997 to set up a case evaluation with a compassionate family law attorney and learn more about what we can do for you.

Related Posts
  • Can Stepparents Request Visitation Rights in New York? Read More
  • Can I Move Away with My Kids After Divorce? Read More
  • What If My Ex-Spouse Violates the Terms of Our Divorce Settlement? Read More