Dutchess County Divorce Lawyers
20+ Years Of Experience With Simple or Complex Divorce in NY
There is a lot to review when you are going through a divorce. As either the person who intends to file or the one who is handed the divorce papers, you need to try to reach a decision that works best for everyone involved. To sort through the details and come up with a fair solution, come to Letterio & Haug, LLP and let our divorce attorneys in Dutchess County act as your legal guides and representatives.
Parts of your divorce we can help with include but are not limited to:
We are proud to be the trusted name in divorce representation for people throughout Dutchess County. Whether you have an uncontested, contested, high asset, or same-sex divorce, we can proudly stand by your side to help you navigate the path ahead.
- Enforcing Child & Spousal Support Orders in New York
- Understanding How Property Division Works During a Divorce
Grounds For Divorce in New York
Every state in the country allows for a no-fault divorce that can be filed for basically any reason. For example, if you do not want to air your metaphorical dirty laundry when you file for divorce, you can choose the no-fault option and cite “irreconcilable differences.” However, New York still allows you to file for divorce based on specific grounds.
Grounds for divorce recognized by New York courts include:
- Cruel or inhumane treatment
- Irretrievable breakdown of marriage for 6 months or longer
Filing for divorce and citing specific grounds can be useful if you want to sway the court to rule in your favor on certain aspects. For the most part, though, it is not necessary. With the help of experienced divorce lawyers like you’ll find at our law firm serving Dutchess County, you can bring those same issues up in your no-fault divorce with just as much effectiveness and purpose. Generally, it is not advised to file for a grounds-based divorce.
Divorce Laws in Dutchess County, NY: Residency Requirements Unveiled
When contemplating divorce, understanding the unique residency prerequisites is fundamental. To initiate divorce proceedings, one of these residency requirements must be met:
- Two-Year Residency: If you or your spouse has lived within New York for a minimum of two consecutive years leading up to the divorce filing date.
- Joint Residency and Cause in New York: When both you and your spouse are current New York residents during the divorce filing and the grounds for divorce occurred within the state.
- One-Year Residency with Specific Criteria: If either you or your spouse has maintained residency in New York for a continuous one-year period immediately before filing for divorce, specific circumstances apply:
- Your marriage ceremony took place in New York.
- Both you and your spouse resided in New York during your marriage.
- The grounds for divorce originated within New York.
- Signs that Indicate You Should Consider a Divorce
- The Timing of Announcing Your Divorce to Your Children
Speak With Adept Dutchess County Divorce Lawyers
When considering divorce in New York, it is essential to have a thorough understanding of the law and the divorce process itself. Our professional Dutchess County divorce lawyers at Letterio & Haug, LLP have the skills to provide the necessary counsel you require for navigating these details. With vast experience, our team is dedicated to providing personalized guidance, allowing you to embark on your divorce path with confidence and certainty. Connect with us and become equipped with the knowledge and unwavering support of trust New York state divorce lawyers.
To learn more about divorce in New York and how you should proceed with your own, please call our Dutchess County divorce attorneys at Letterio & Haug, LLP by dialing (845) 203-0997.
At Letterio & Haug, LLP, our attorneys have more than two decades of combined legal experience, as well as a lengthy track record of success. Over the years, we have successfully helped countless individuals resolve a wide variety of legal problems. To see how we assisted our past clients, browse through our clients’ testimonials here. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us today at 845-203-0997 and schedule a consultation.
“Passionate, committed, diligent, and very client orientated and driven.”- Eileen C.
“They have made a lifelong client out of me.”- Mike
“I cannot think of any attorney I would rather have represent me.”- Michael G.
“An amazing lawyer who genuinely cared about me!”- Kris F.
“We could not be happier with the results. Highly recommend!”- Jenna C.